The Japanese language uses 3 writing systems:
Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji.
In Japanese, broadly three scripts are used in a mixed way.
Hiragana and Kanji are used widely in a sentence. Katakana is mainly used for borrowerd words from foreign language.
ラジオで日本の歌をきいた。(I heard a Japanese song on radio)
In the above sentence all the three scripts are used as follows:
Hiragana: で, の, を, きいた
Kanji: 日本, 歌
Table of Contents
The Goal of this Session
- Master Hiragana alphabets within 3~20 days.
- To be able to pronounce the alphabets correctly.
- To be able to write Hiragana alphabets with proper stroke order.
- To be able to read basic Hiragana vocabularies. The only purpose is to focus on reading, so do not worry about the meanings.
- Hiragana alphabets are simplified forms of the kanji.
- Hiragana is a set of 46 basic alphabets.
- In addition to 46 basic Hiragana letters called as gojuuon, there are modified sounds like:
20 dakuon , 5 handakuon, 36 yoon, 1 sokuon.
- You can download and print Hiragana chart(PDF) for practice.The meaning of each has been summarized below:
- Gojuuon(五十音): basic 46 alphabets
- Dakuon(濁音): addition of 2 small dots (called as dakuten) to the hiragana in か(ka), さ(sa), た(ta), and は(ha) rows.
adding 2 small dots to は(ha) becomes ば(ba).
- Handakuon(半濁音): addition of a small circle (called as handakuten)
adding a small circle to は(ha) becomes ぱ(pa)
- Yoon(拗音): is described by :
i-column letter + small や(ya)、ゆ(yu)、or よ(yo)
き(ki) + small や(ya) = きゃ(kya)
- Sokuon(促音): is described by small つ(tsu)
small つ(tsu) means that the alphabet in the next character is doubled and a slight pause results.
For example, さっき(sakki)
Hiragana test (Part2)
Hiragana test (ALL)
To memorize the Hiragana letters, here is a video link that will help you to learn musically! It will also help you in developing your listening skills because songs can be useful in language learning as they provide a format for memorizing vocabulary and rhythm of the language.
So, we suggest you to become a kid again and use your creativity to widen your language learning potential.
Did You know ?
Japan in Japanese is Nihon or Nippon.
Practice reading and writing Hiragana alphabets as many times as you can until you become Perfect. And then you are ready to shift to Katakana learning.